Monday, June 28, 2010

On the Road Again....

Well, I'm feeling a little nostalgic lately.  I know my time is ticking down with my daughter, Rachael. She is going to be a senior in high school, and this summer, I'm afraid, will be this last summer vacation we have as a somewhat complete family.  Andrew didn't come this year--he had to work--so we were minus one, and I know that over the next few years, our little brood will disband and start lives of their own, so this is kinda a sad vacation for me.

Nevertheless, we began our journey on Friday and made the trek to my mom and dad's house so we would have  2 hours less to travel the next day. It was nice to catch up and visit for the evening. As I get older, I appreciate my parents more.  I know that time is no longer on our side.  I see how fast my kids have grown--I mean, heck, I can still remember vividly going on family vacations with my mom and dad and sister. Doesn't seem that long ago. So this year, I decided i was not just watching and taking pictures--but joining in the fun...making memories to last me a lifetime.

On Saturday morning, we got up, enjoyed a leisurly breakfast, packed up the car and were ready to head out at about 9:30. We laughed at the difference in our family and that of my family growing up. My dad would have had us loaded in that car before there was light outside. He would have driven--with only the occasional stop on the side of the road with a towel to cover us while we went to the bathroom--until we got there.  I can look back now and laugh because he would always tell myy sister and me to let him know when the next gas station was coming up. About 20 gas stations later, he would reluctantly pull in, allowing us the privacy of the gas station toilet, which I thought was a real luxury at that time!  Kirk and I are a little different from my parents in that we are not early morning risers--we enjoy sleeping in, and I plan fun little stops for us to do about every two or three hours, just so that we can get out of the car and stretch for a while. I could tell my parents thought we were crazy for getting such a late start, in fact my dad said something about the difference and it made me laugh..I miss those family trips as a child. I miss being a kid and having my dad pick me up when I am half asleep and put me gingerly in the car--making sure not to wake me. Being excited about where we were going and not being able to wait until we could get there. I envy the kids that. Cause as a parent, vacations are exhausting!!

Like I said before, I am an avid planner when it comes to vacations.  But this year, I never felt motivated.  I don't know why.  I just wanted to go--no plans, just see where we end up and decide what to do when we get there. In fact, I think I threw poor Kirk for a loop.  He kept asking me "where to?" and I never had an answer for him. But the kids took it in stride.  The older they get, the easier it is. I, however,  must praise God for the person who invented the portable DVD player! We never heard a peep out of the kids! The car was so quiet, that it was almost eerie!

Our first stop was in Texarkana, Ark. We stopped for some lunch and decided to throw around the frisbee. 





And yes, I was there...just no one else knows how to take pictures!


I also took a few pics of Rachael and Cork... because they will let me.....




and then...I suggested that they get together so I could take a family picture.....







and this is what I got... The laughing and joking.  The pure joy and goofiness. I love this picture because to me, this is what is is all about.  Spending time together, renewing our exhausted bodies and overworked minds, remembering what it means to BE a family. Yes, THIS is what it is all about....well, this.....


and THIS! Could God have blessed me any more????

Til next time.....

1 comment:

  1. Wish we could be there. I would love a family vacation that didn't include baseball!! Be safe and have a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete