Monday, January 5, 2009

January 5, 2009

Day 5/365
We woke up this morning to a very cold and dreary day. I think it was appropriate since that is what I felt like myself this morning. After two weeks of vacation, going back to work made me feel dreary. When I got to work, it was even worse. They had piled mail and notes and cases so high on my desk that I couldn't find a bare spot to put a pen down. Needless to say, I felt like the weather looked today.


I had to run to Harker Heights to make an emergency visit to one of our dentists. It is something I do twice a week but I found myself going a day earlier than planned. I hate going and grumbled a bit as I walked out the door. I have to remind myself all the time "atleast I have a job!" but most the time, I wish I didn't. I have way too many things I want to do at home and with my family. I wish I was rich. But since I am not and a job I must have, I am trying to find something good about it. The drive the Harker Heights is about 45 minutes from Waco and today, because I had to take Leah to BB practice in Crawford, I took the back roads. Now, I have taken them many times before but today, I really stopped to look at the countryside as I drove along. The sky was dark, it was raining but the rain was freezing on all the trees and wires. Today, those brown, ugly trees appeared to be a brilliant white. As I looked across the wide open field, it occured to me that this is what we would call--at least in Central Texas--a winter wonderland! We don't get much snow, but the freezing ice made the ground and bushes and trees appear white--like a fresh snow had fallen. It occured to me that, had I not had to drive to Harker Heights today, I might have missed this beautiful sight. The trees heavy with the weight of the ice and the occasional evergreen that stood so colorful next to their brown counterparts. I saw the most beautiful red birds feeding and an occasional cow that stood in the cold winter rain and grazed. A calm came over me and I felt at peace. I am reminded of the beauty of God's earth even in the dead of winter. When it appears that life is at its ugliest--there is a glimpse of beauty that keeps you moving on towards the hope of a prettier tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment