Tuesday, September 22, 2009

September 20,2009

A Fair to Remember...

I know, its dumb, but I couldn't help myself. Growing up in Texas, it was a yearly event to go to the fair. I loved going. Not only did we have a day off of school, but the fair was a big event in Texas.

I can still remember the morning of our annual "fair day". My younger sister, Amy, and I would wake up with a great anticipation. My mother made us matching outfits and we were so excited that we could finally wear them. After a big breakfast, we would head out to the fair. I will always remember looking for Big Tex, the giant Texan who greeted all the fair goers at the gate. I can still here his voice in my head as he welcomes us to the fair and reminds us to eat a hotdog and ride the rides.

I can still feel the excitment of walking up to the ticket booth and my dad buying us a big book of tickets to use to ride the rides and play the games. As we walked through the entrance, we could smell fall in the air, popcorn and candy apples, hot dogs and cotton candy--and the faint smell of hay and animals. I could see the huge ferris wheel and we would head straight for it. Ironic now, since I can't stand heights, but I loved the ferris wheel. I always felt so free as we went around and around.

We would spend all day, riding the rides, seeing the exhibits and looking at all the animals. I can remember falling into the car and being so exhausted that I would be asleep 2 minutes after we left. Those are the memories that I want for my children too.

Although I no longer live in the Dallas area, we have our own fair here in Waco. It is a huge event that lasts for about a week. But more than the rides--they seem so cheesey and much less stable than when I was a child--we go to see the rodeo. It is an event we look forward to every year. I love to see the look of excitment on my childrens face as they watch the big bull try to throw off the rugged cowboy or their horror as he goes after the rodeo clown. We always enjoy a great laugh when we watch the little ones ride the sheep to see who can go the farthest. We have also made it a yearly event to go through EVERY camper at the show and make our dream list.

It is that time again--only a few more weeks--and we are already excited and ready to go. I can only hope that my children have as good a memories as I do about the fair, and that they, in turn, make those memories with their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment