Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11, 2009



Over the years, I haven't really LOVED sports. I mean, I sit in the same room when my husband watches them, I even--sometimes--enjoy them. I have been to baseball games--I LOATHE baseball--basketball games even a hockey game or two, but I have never really fallen in love with a sport.....until softball.

My husband is a softball coach at our local high school, and a couple of years ago, we nudged our 11 year old daughter towards softball. She instantly picked it up. She was, after all, a tomboy at heart. She could and can't get enough of it. We signed her up for our local little league and proceeded to start the season. I still remember her first tryout. It was cold and dreary and all the parents where huddled in the bleachers watching their little league hopeful. You see, Midway Little League is a dynasty. They have gone to the World Series for 11 of the past 13 years. Everyone wants to play on this team. We were not like that though. We just wanted Leah to play, have fun and learn a team sport. Learn how to be a team player. But here we were on that foggy, chilly morning, along with all the other parents, secretly hoping our child was better than atleast a few of the girls. Good enough to make the team.

When the list came out, her name was on it. That day changed the rest of our lives.


Over the last three years, we have played little league, travelled ALL OVER Texas to qualify for the World Series, travelled to Oregon to play in the Little League World Series in 2008, played in NUMEROUS tournaments with her select team, watched her hit her first homerun, a walk off gland slam that won the game for her team, and now, this Spring, she will play highschool ball. This is what we have been working so hard for. You see, she wants to play college ball. This is just the next step on the road to meet her goal. Somehow, in all the travelling, picture taking, sideline coaching and cheering, I fell in love with the game. More, I fell in love watching my daughter play the game. Some people may look at the next 4 years of games and tournaments as a hassle, but I am excited to see the possiblities. I can't wait to see her meet her goal and go on to play in college because that means I will have ATLEAST 8 more years to watch her play. If I play my cards right, and my husband gets his way, our 7 year old will be following in her big sisters footsteps. She will have some big shoes to fill, but if anyone can fill them, she can.




No comments:

Post a Comment